Introduction to Log Homes
Log Homes are not all the same.
As you can see from these images there are many different styles and types of log homes built in the United States and Canada.
While some floor plans may look similar they are all different. Here at loghomes.com we enable potential log home owners to make good decisions when building or purchasing an existing log home or cabin.
Designs and plans may look the same but they all vary from mill to mill and from builder to builder.
- There are different building styles.
- There are different building systems.
- There are many different models and plans.
- There are different log profiles: round logs, D logs, square logs, coped logs etc.
- Different species of logs are used to build log homes.
- Log homes are built from handcrafted logs and from milled logs.
- Some log homes are built using kiln dried logs, nature-dried standing dead timber, or green logs.
- Many log home companies have standard log home plans for you to choose from.
- Semi custom log homes are revised standard log home plans.
- Custom log homes are designed from the ground up to accommodate your life style.
All of the items mentioned above have been addressed by the mills and builders who are listed on loghomes.com.
Our primary goal on loghomes.com is to point you in the right direction. The articles posted in our information section are the starting point in your journey to life in a log home. The builders and mills listed on our web site can answer just about any log home or cabin question you may have. We invite you to contact them by email or phone.
Open invitation to our advertisers: Send us your log home information articles and we will consider them for inclusion on our web site. We are especially interested in receiving articles from owner builders or owner contractors with hands on experience. Appropriate credit including company name and authors name for each posted article will be given. Contact loghomes.com for details.
Enjoy the web site.
Martin, Janice and Seth Turnbull